Small groups are a critical part of discipleship ministry. They give believers the opportunity to develop healthy relationships and grow in community. The best small groups utilize discussions to enable growth in each person. Below are 10 steps which will help you lead effective discussions. In the coming days, I’ll write more about each of the steps:
1. Prepare “good” questions prior to the meeting
2. Create a climate of acceptance
3. Actively listen to each person
4. Affirm all legitimate expressions of opinion from your group members
5. “Peel the Onion” with questions
6. Be careful about taking sides in a “debate”
7. Allow for humor and rabbit trails
8. Don’t be afraid of silence.
9. Deal with discussion killers.
10. Be a facilitator, not an expert.